Thursday 8 January 2015

Coming out

This is what I think. If you are TG and thinking about coming out, this is what id say.



You dont need to feel ashamed anymore. At all. You have a medical condition, and it can be treated. it wont go away on its own but with medical intervention you can get it sorted and move on! Its fine to tell people in the same way it would be fine to tell them you have arthritis, or need glasses to drive. No shame, no regrets.

Once i stopped feeling ashamed about being transgender, I came out to everyone. it was fun. this was last week and so far everyones had a good laugh (it IS pretty funny!) and been lovely and supportive. 
Quite a few even said congratulations! or that they are proud of me! I think youd be surprised how people will be overjoyed to see you so much less stressed.
Ive been ready to block anyone who was horrible but so far no one has!

Everyone has their own speed, but I like to just bulldoze through things at top speed haha, always have! Ill tell you something, going to a shop, buying clothes, hanging out as a girl with accepting friends, it feels SOOOOO good. Who cares if youre not a supermodel. I look scary, but I feel like a real, happy person. That seems more than worth it.

I found instant messenger was a boon for coming out. Rather than sitting people down and awkwardly telling them, and then watching them try to contain their reaction, you can carefully and honestly write a message, maybe include links to resources which might help, show you are happy and just push send! and its done! PHEWWWWW!
its actually super fun! also if you tell a few gossipy people, key nodes in your friend networks if you like, and make it clear you dont mind who they tell, theyll do the work for you. Maybe its hot gossip for 2 mins, then everyone moves on and doesnt care about you again! Good.

And they can compose themselves and respond. Not one has been mean, all have been awesome. 
I made a blog to track my progress and use it to show people how much happier i am now as part of my coming out message. People always seem to understand. Maybe that is worth a shot. Good luck, you are stronger than you know after years of coping with chronic mental pain. Coming out disolves a huge amount of that pain. You will be fine! better than fine. Better than ever before. its wicked!

Its like I'm falling out of bed From a long and weary dream Finally I'm free of all the weight I've been carrying Falling off the giant bird that’s been carrying me It's like I'm falling out of bed from a long and weary dream

1 comment:

  1. This is really refreshing to read, I'm envious of your guts and very happy everyone has been so awesome! You're quite an inspiring person.

    ReplyDelete